Hope Rising

Monday, June 27, 2011

"To love at all is to be vulnerable"

To love at all is to be vulnerable.  Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken.  If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one.  It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.  The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation.  The only place outside of heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell. 

C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

Father, keep my heart open, soft, and, yes, even vulnerable. Help me not to close my heart and in so doing become "unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable."  As I keep my heart open to Your will and Your ways, help me to guard my heart, and to show Your love to those You put in my path.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment