Hope Rising

Friday, June 24, 2011

Reminding myself of His sovereignty

This week has been difficult for me...my heart has been troubled and frustrated by an ongoing season of waiting.  There are several areas in my life that seem to be open-ended and in need of His completion.  I've been praying a prayer of relinquishment that a friend sent me, and I've been reminding myself once again of Psalm 46:10: 
 
"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."


Here are some notes by Jonathan Edwards on Psalm 46:10, as quoted by C.H. Spurgeon in his Treasury of David:
Be still, and know that I am God. The sole consideration that God is God, sufficient to still all objections to his sovereignty. 
Jonathan Edwards
I am God.
  1. In that he is God, he is an absolutely and infinitely perfect being.
  2. As he is God, he is so great, that he is infinitely above all comprehension.
  3. As he is God, all things are his own.
  4. In that he is God, he is worthy to be sovereign over all things.
  5. In that he is God, he will be sovereign, and will act as such.
  6. In that he is God, he is able to avenge himself on those who oppose his sovereignty.
Jonathan Edwards

A reminder I'm preaching to myself this morning: for those of us who are experiencing a season of waiting in our walk with Christ, daily confession is so important.  Let Him search your heart, listen to His voice, and obey the changes He asks you to make.  If you find that there is not unconfessed sin, then rest in His sovereignty...He is God, and He is working out His kingdom purposes in His children--those who believe in His son, Jesus Christ.  His ways are higher than our ways--thank Him and praise Him before the answers are clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment