Hope Rising

Friday, May 20, 2011

Jesus is Really Big in My Heart

This is a devotional that I was asked to write recently.  I based it off of this original blog post.

Over the last year, I've been teaching my young son how important it is to pray, "Search me, O God, and know my heart...see if there is any wicked way in me..." every day (Psalm 139:23,24). When he's done praying the prayer, I encourage him to be quiet and to listen with his heart to see if Jesus is telling him anything.

One night as we were ending our day by reading his Bible, I reminded my son again that we should pray the "Search my heart" prayer.  He prayed, and then I began to remind him to be quiet and listen to what Jesus was telling him.

As I was speaking, he interrupted me and said excitedly, "I hear Him, I hear Him!" I asked him what Jesus was saying, and with his hand over his heart, my 5 year old son said, "He's making my heart feel warm, and He's really big in my heart!"

What a description of being right with God.

Although I’ve tried to ask God daily to search my heart for many years, recently I find that God has been asking me to let Him search my heart in ways that I traditionally tried to avoid.  Can I allow Him to look into my heart and speak to me about my selfishness?  Or what about my motives--am I self-seeking or manipulative?  What about my reactions or responses when things don't go the way I think they should? For me, the list could go on and on. 

George MacDonald says, "Obedience is the opener of eyes."  As I allow God to show me the ugliness in the hidden places of my heart, I then must obey what He’s telling me to change, and keep allowing Him to scrutinize my life.  Even though it might initially be hard, there is such peace in allowing Him into those places, obeying Him, and walking in complete harmony with my Father.

As you allow God to search your heart, here is a question worth pondering:

When was the last time your heart felt warm, and Jesus was really big in your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment