Hope Rising

Monday, February 21, 2011

Blessings on thee, little man...

4 weeks old...and who's the young girl holding him?:)
My little man will be 6 in a few days...and, as usual, when his birthday rolls around, I begin reflecting over the years of his precious life.

What a blessing he has been. What a blessing he is!

Allow me a little indulgence as I highlight some things I love about him.

This was a video taken when he was 3 years old.  It is such a special moment...watching it now, I can't believe my boy was ever that little. (Disclaimer: At the beginning, Drew mentions that a crab bit my toe--which has nothing to do w/ the point of the video. :)  I do not have video editing tools, and I didn't know that my camera couldn't switch the way I wanted it to, and I get a little tongue-tied at the end, but all in all it's definitely worth showing... :)) 




He has a heart for God, and I love hearing his mind process those things.  One of my favorite memories is when he was only 2 years old.  As I rocked him to sleep each night, I would pray over him and sing to him.  His little eyes would get heavy, and his hand would stroke my hair.

One night, as I was putting him to bed, he said, "Pray, Mama!"  So, as usual, I started praying.  I prayed that he would become a man of God.  Usually, I would add "and a man of integrity", but for some reason, I skipped the integrity part that night.  He interrupted me and said, "Pray turkey, Mama!"  I tried to keep praying, but he became more insistent. "Pray turkey, Mama!!"

"Turkey? What do you mean?" I finally replied.

"Turkey, Mama!"

Suddenly, I realized what he must mean.  "Integrity?" I asked.

"Yes, Mama, turkey!" he sighed happily. So I prayed again that he would become a man of God and a man of integrity (or "turkey" in his 2 year old language)...I loved, though, that it was important to him that I pray the same things over him every day. Especially something as crucial as integrity. :)

A few weeks ago, he told me that when his class was singing the song, Here I am to Worship, he got "happy tears" in his eyes.  I told him that it was the Holy Spirit speaking to his heart, and he got very quiet and reverent...it was such a sweet moment--I pray his heart is always so tender.
A boy after my own heart, he has a fascination with nature, as evidenced by one of my favorite photos of him when he was only 3...

Love his expression :)

My son is creative.  He loves anything to do with working with his hands, which right now means Legos, coloring, drawing, etc.  Below are some of his recent drawings--he's quite proud of them, obviously, as am I.


I enjoy his sense of humor immensely.  We laugh a lot...he helps me to remember that laughter is important. 

I simply told him to hang up his clothes... :)
 

Here's a joke from the little comedian:




Anyway...these are just some random thoughts from a mother's heart for her son.

"Blessings on thee, little man, 
Barefoot boy, with cheek of tan..."
John Greenleaf Whittier 


Happy (almost) Birthday to a precious boy.


2 comments:

  1. Precious he is! Happy Birthday Drew, we love you and pray for you! Can't wait to see what God has planned for this little man of God and turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very sweet...
    (i always enjoy your lovely blog...Blessings!)

    ReplyDelete