Hope Rising

Monday, November 8, 2010

Seeking the Blesser

I'm slowly reading through a book called Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster.  In the chapter on fasting, he asks a short question that struck my heart in a way that I cannot forget.  I paraphrase: 
  
"Do you love the blessing more than the Blesser?"

Honestly, I believe my heart was struck so deeply because I am guilty of seeking the blessing.  As I've let those words penetrate my soul, I have seen that many times, I have not sought Christ--I have sought what He could do for me, or how He could get me out of a certain situation.

Since reading that line, I'm learning to regularly take some quiet mornings alone to seek Him, not something from Him.  To listen.  To be still.  For me, this usually means heading to the beach, or some quiet area outdoors.  It's hard to seek anything from the Blesser but Himself when I'm surrounded by His handiwork.

3 comments:

  1. Talena-

    When I read the quote you posted, I had to smile. When we were in NYC, we visited the Brooklyn Tabernacle on Tuesday night. Pastor Cymbala spoke on that very subject. He quoted it as "Seeking the Blessing or Seeking the GOD of the blessing". God really used that service to open my eyes to the reality of that statement in my life. I smile because God has a way of reminding us of those lessons when we least expect them. So... thanks for the reminder. ;)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog you have, Talena! Your devotional thoughts were a blessing. Thank you! Blessings! Rebecca (Patterson) Hoard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Heather and Rebecca. Good to hear from you both!

    ReplyDelete