Hope Rising

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Missing my grandmother these days...

My son and I with Me-Maw
 My Me-Maw was a beautiful lady. She passed away about 2 years ago, and I have been missing her terribly--especially as the holiday season approaches.  I think of her every day, in some way.  Sometimes, I'll remember something she told me, or the way she moved.  I can see her in her little kitchen, making her famous brownies. Ever since she died, when I make those brownies, I imagine her measuring out the cocoa with a real table spoon (not a measuring spoon), and stirring the pot over her stove.  They somehow taste better when I try to emulate the way she did it.

Recently, I've missed talking to her the most. There are things I want to tell her that I probably wouldn't tell anyone else...or if I do, it's not the same as telling my Me-Maw. She was a wonderful listener, and I remember many quiet talks with her throughout my life, but especially the ones before she passed away.  I  am so grateful for those moments alone with her in the last few months of her life.  She needed help with simple things like eating her supper, or holding up her glass and bending her straw to her mouth.  I helped her whenever I could.  Then we would sit and talk, always in a lamp-lit room (she loved the cozy light), and towards the end, when we had those quiet conversations, I would hold her hand.

Today, I'm missing not only those conversations, but the pleasure of holding her hand.  She did not have an easy life.  Her hands showed the years of raising 5 children alone, the years of hard work to provide for them, and, I believe, the strength of her spirit.  She loved God most, and even though her life had been difficult, she loved Him still.

I read an excerpt from C.S. Lewis' classic Narnia series last night, and I think it's appropriate to end this post with these few lines from The Last Battle--I especially love the last paragraph:
Then Aslan looked at them and said:
"You do not yet look so happy as I mean you to be." 
Lucy said, "We're so afraid of being sent away, Aslan. And you have sent us back into our own world so often.  
"No fear of that," said Aslan. "Have you not guessed?" 
Their hearts leaped and a wild hope rose within them. 
"There was a real railway accident,"said Aslan softly. "Your father and mother and all of you are--as you used to call it in the Shadowlands--dead.  The term is over: the holidays have begun.  The dream is ended: this is the morning."
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.  And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story.  All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.   
Just some thoughts from a granddaughter who is grateful to know that her Me-Maw has begun Chapter One of the real story...

1 comment:

  1. You had such a special grandmother! Her life and faithfulness is an inspiration. I'm glad I had the privilege to know her!

    ReplyDelete